Tuesday 23 January 2018

A LOVELY SUNDAY WITH MMESOMA: THE GENES8S

I have known and seen her for sometime time in the church. Haven’t actually spoken to her yet. She used to sit a couple of chairs away from me with her sisters and dad as well.

I haven’t mustered the courage to switch chairs, get closer or even try sharing bulletin or hymn book with her.

What really caught my attention was that she sleeps often. Once the mass is on, she jets off only to surface towards the end. It pisses me off…I can’t just figure out what tunes her off or does the mass bore her to death?

Maybe if I have the opportunity of seating next to her one of these days, we will work out the sleep angle, I promised myself.

Fortune seemed to be smiling my way one faithful day. I stepped up to my usual seating position and there she was with her little sisters and a space for one just by her side. I hurriedly squeezed in before someone else beats me to it…the mass rolled off.

I couldn’t just wait for the right moment to chat her up. Of course, we shared the bulletin; I guess it was a starting point.

Our voices rose to heaven as we chanted from the hymn book. I showed her the letter board with the hymn numbers hung close to the front door and she dutifully selected hymns when the time came up. We were really hitting it off pretty well.

Her dad was a couple of seats ahead of us. As the mass wore on, he drifted off to sleep along with her little siblings as well. My beloved friend couldn’t because a stranger caught her attention and she can’t just embarrass herself sleeping at his side.

I couldn’t wait for an opportune moment to talk to her. With my heart slamming louder than a blacksmith hammer, I asked her, “What’s your name? Mine is Ik”. Her voice was like the sound of a gentle stream flowing through a beautiful park, “my name is Mmeso”.

“Where do you come from?” I asked further; testing the ground. “Anambra state”, was the reply. Thank God for coincidence at least we have something in common…

During communion, she bent her head on the pew, just the exact posture her dad took while sleeping a couple of minutes ago. I couldn't believe it; she had the temerity to doze off by my side. I gently tapped her on the shoulder, “Are you sleeping?” Her charming eyes engaged mine “No I wasn’t”.

Her eyes corroborated her reply; as clear as crystal and as white as snow. Can’t blame myself…love at first sight is on the cards.

I kicked myself as I left the church, “How did I forget to ask for her number”?

Of course she wouldn’t have a phone; she’s just 7 years.

I went home walking on the clouds. Couldn’t wait for six days to roll by.

No comments: