Friday 29 December 2017

THE DAY MY HEART WEPT BUT MY EYES SHED NO TEARS PART 4

A lot went through my mind as I marked their scripts - the moments I smiled and when I felt like giving her zero. 

What is she writing? Has she ever been in my class at all? Who taught her this? The list was endless. 

Yet that heart gutting sigh gave me a unique insight into what some students go through. That even before I barge into their class, scripts firmly clasped in my hands, face set in stone, some have punished themselves enough. 

And when I give vent to my anger and displeasure at their writeup, I am swatting a fly with an elephant gun. I am pushing them far away from me; widening a gully I should be filling up. 

Within their ranks are some who have written off my subjects too. They believe they can never do well in it no matter the effort they apply. They will never tell me that face to face. Wouldn't muster the courage to approach me for a tete a tete. 

Of what use is my reaping their heads off then? I will succeed only in driving them away not winning them back. This begs the question why am I teaching in the first place. 

And what if I am 'remotely' responsible for their performance? 

No comments: